Water is a basic human need, and having access to clean drinking water is essential for survival, especially when traveling or in outdoor environments. While there are many sources of water available, not all of them are safe for consumption. Portable water makers have become an increasingly popular solution to this problem, providing a way to purify water on-the-go.
In 2023, there are many options available for portable water makers, each with their own unique features and capabilities. Whether you are a backpacker, camper, boater, or just someone looking for a reliable source of clean water, the best portable water makers of 2023 can offer a convenient and effective solution to your needs.
In this article, we will explore some of the top portable water makers available in 2023, their features, and what makes them stand out from the competition.
When Do You Need A Portable Water Maker?
Having a portable water maker can be a valuable investment for anyone who wants to ensure that they have access to clean drinking water in a variety of situations. It is a device that can turn saltwater or other non-potable water into drinkable water and can be very useful in a variety of situations, such as:
- Boating and sailing: A water maker can provide a reliable source of fresh drinking water for those who spend long periods of time at sea without having to carry large amounts of bottled water.
- Camping and hiking: When you’re in the great outdoors, finding clean drinking water can be a challenge. A portable water maker can purify water from rivers, lakes, and streams, making it safe to drink.
- Emergency preparedness: In the event of a natural disaster or other emergency, a portable water maker can ensure that you have access to clean drinking water when traditional sources are disrupted or contaminated.
- Remote locations: If you’re travelling to a remote location with limited access to clean drinking water, a portable water maker can help you stay hydrated without having to rely on bottled water or other sources.
- Developing countries: In many parts of the world, access to clean drinking water is a major issue. A portable water maker can be a cost-effective solution to provide access to safe drinking water in these areas.
Best Portable Water Makers 2023
With advancements in technology, the best portable water makers in 2023 offer high-quality filtration and purification systems that are compact, lightweight, and easy to use. Here are our favourites right now:
Katadyn Pocket Water Filter
Katadyn Pocket Water Filter is a highly-rated and durable water filter that is designed for heavy use in harsh environments. It uses a ceramic filter that can remove particles, bacteria, and protozoa and can filter up to 13,000 gallons of water before needing replacement.
MSR Guardian Purifier
This heavy-duty water purifier uses advanced filters and UV light to remove viruses, bacteria, and protozoa from water sources. It is built to withstand rough handling and can filter up to 10,000 litres of water before requiring replacement.
Sawyer Products MINI Water Filtration System
Sawyer Products MINI Water Filtration System is a compact and lightweight water filter that can remove bacteria, protozoa, and microplastics from water sources. It can filter up to 100,000 gallons of water and comes with a variety of accessories for versatile use.
LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
LifeStraw is a simple and affordable water filter that is designed for personal use. It can remove bacteria and protozoa from water sources and filter up to 4,000 litres of water.
Grayl GeoPress Water Purifier
This compact, versatile and high-quality water purifier bottle uses a unique press-and-filter system to remove viruses, bacteria, and protozoa from water sources. It can filter up to 65 gallons of water and is great for travel or outdoor adventures.
What To Consider When Buying A Portable Water Maker?
When buying a portable water maker, there are several important factors to consider:
- Water Output: Consider the amount of water you need to produce daily or per hour. The water output of a portable water maker is usually measured in litres per hour or gallons per day.
- Filtration System: Check the filtration system used in the water maker. Look for a system that removes impurities like sediments, bacteria, viruses, and chemicals.
- Power Source: Portable water makers require a power source to operate. Check if the unit uses batteries and solar power or requires an AC or DC power source.
- Portability: Consider the size and weight of the water maker. Choose a unit that is easy to carry and store.
- Ease of Use: Look for a water maker that is easy to operate and requires minimal maintenance.
- Durability: Consider the quality of materials used in the water maker. Look for a unit that is made of durable materials that can withstand harsh environmental conditions.
- Price: Portable water makers can range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars. Consider your budget and choose a water maker that offers good value for money.
- Brand Reputation: Look for a reputable brand with a proven track record in the portable water maker industry. Read reviews from other users to gauge their experiences with the product.
FAQs – Portable Water Makers
A portable water maker is a device that can turn saltwater or brackish water into potable water. It is designed for use in remote locations or on boats where access to clean drinking water may be limited.
A portable water maker typically uses a process called reverse osmosis, which involves pushing water through a semi-permeable membrane that removes salt and other contaminants. The resulting water is then treated with additional filters and disinfectants to ensure its safety for drinking.
The primary benefit of using a portable water maker is the ability to access clean drinking water in remote or off-grid locations. It can also save money by eliminating the need to purchase bottled water or pay for water delivery services.
The amount of water a portable water maker can produce varies depending on the specific model and its capacity. Some models can produce several gallons of water per hour, while others may only produce a few quarts.
While a portable water maker can remove many contaminants from water, it may not be able to remove all of them. Some contaminants, such as volatile organic compounds (VOCs), may require additional treatment methods.
The maintenance requirements for a portable water maker depend on the specific model and its usage. Generally, the device should be flushed with fresh water after each use, and the filters should be replaced according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Yes, some portable water makers can run on solar power, making them an ideal solution for off-grid locations. However, the amount of power required to run the device may be significant, so it is important to ensure that sufficient solar panels are available.
The amount of time it takes to produce potable water with a portable water maker depends on the specific model and its capacity. Some models can produce water in as little as 30 minutes, while others may take several hours.
Yes, a portable water maker can be a valuable tool in emergency situations where access to clean drinking water may be limited. It can be used to purify water from natural sources, such as lakes or rivers, making it safe for consumption.
The cost of a portable water maker varies depending on the specific model and its capacity. Basic models may cost a few hundred dollars, while more advanced models with higher capacity and additional features can cost several thousand dollars.