Weighted blankets have recently gained popularity* for their ability to provide comfort, reduce anxiety, and improve sleep quality. Here we’ll bring you the best weighted blankets 2023.
Weighted blankets use small weights, usually made of plastic pellets or glass beads, evenly distributed within the fabric to mimic the sensation of being hugged. The pressure of the weights creates a sense of calm and comfort, known as “deep touch pressure stimulation.” Whether you’re looking to improve your sleep, relieve stress, or enjoy a cosy night in, a weighted blanket may be just what you need.
The Benefits Of Using A Weighted Blanket
A weighted blanket can improve well-being and quality of life by offering deep touch pressure and a sense of comfort and security. Here are the key benefits of using a weighted blanket:
- Reduced Stress and Anxiety: Weighted blankets have been shown to have a calming effect on the body by applying gentle pressure to the user. This pressure is known as deep touch pressure (DTP). It is thought to activate the release of serotonin and dopamine, which are neurotransmitters that regulate mood and improve feelings of well-being. By reducing stress and anxiety, a weighted blanket can help enhance sleep quality and promote a more restful night’s sleep.
- Improved Sleep: The deep touch pressure provided by a weighted blanket has been shown to enhance sleep quality by reducing restless movements and promoting more restful sleep. The blanket’s weight helps to improve sleep onset and increase sleep duration, making it an effective tool for individuals struggling with insomnia or sleep disorders.
- Pain Relief: Weighted blankets can also relieve physical pain, particularly for individuals with chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia or arthritis. The pressure from the blanket can help to soothe sore muscles and reduce pain sensations, leading to improved sleep and reduced discomfort.
- Sensory Stimulation: Weighted blankets are often used for sensory stimulation, particularly for individuals with a sensory processing disorder. The blanket’s pressure can be calming and help regulate the nervous system, providing a sense of security and comfort.
- Improved Focus and Concentration: Weighted blankets have been shown to positively impact focus and concentration, particularly for individuals with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or attention deficit disorder (ADD). The blanket’s pressure can help calm the nervous system and reduce distractions, allowing for improved focus and concentration.
What To Think About When Buying Weighted Blankets
Here are five things to consider when buying a weighted blanket:
- Weight: Choose a blanket that weighs around 10% of your body weight. This is the general recommendation for comfort and effectiveness. A too-light blanket may not provide enough pressure, while a too-heavy one may be uncomfortable and difficult to handle.
- Material: Look for a blanket made of soft, breathable material such as cotton, bamboo or a blend of both. Avoid materials that trap heat, such as plastic or synthetic fibres, as these can make the blanket uncomfortable and cause sweating.
- Size: Make sure to choose an appropriate blanket for your bed or needs. A too-small blanket may not provide adequate coverage, while a too-large one may not stay in place or be challenging to handle.
- Filling: Consider the filling material of the blanket. Glass or plastic beads are popular fillers for weighted blankets, but some people prefer a more natural option, like rice or flax seeds.
- Price: Weighted blankets can vary in price, so it is vital to set a budget and find a blanket that fits within it. However, it is essential to remember that a higher price doesn’t always mean better quality, and a lower price doesn’t always mean poor quality. Do some research and read reviews to make an informed decision.
Considering these factors, you can find a weighted blanket that is right for you and meets your specific needs and preferences.
Best Weighted Blankets 2023
With so many available options, finding the best weighted blanket for your needs can be challenging. In 2023, weighted blankets come in various materials, weights, and sizes, making it hard to difficult among all available options.
We have chosen five of the best weighted blankets available in 2023, each with unique features and benefits:
YnM Weighted Blanket
This blanket is one of the most popular options on the market and is known for its soft, breathable fabric and versatile weight options. The YnM blanket is available in various sizes and weights, making it a great choice for people of all sizes.
Gravity Weighted Blanket
This blanket is made from high-quality, natural materials designed to promote restful sleep and reduce anxiety. It is available in various weights and sizes, and the blanket’s unique design distributes the weight evenly for a comfortable and calming sleep experience.
CoolZen Weigthed Blanket
CoolZen’s specially engineered all-season blend of fabrics provides a soft, minky texture with maximum breathability and temperature regulation. There are 12 internal attachment points, and a custom, unique 7-layer design traps premium the 1mm glass beads in place, ensuring weight is distributed evenly and never bunches up at one end.
Luna Weighted Blanket
Luna’s soft weighted blankets are made of high quality, 100% Oeko-Tex certified breathable cotton and filled with premium glass beads, for maximum comfort and relaxation. The quilted pattern holds the premium glass bead filling in place so you never have to worry about the weight bunching or pooling.
ZonLi Weighted Blanket
This blanket is made from a soft, breathable fabric filled with non-toxic glass beads for weight. It is available in various colours and sizes, and the blanket’s unique design distributes the weight evenly for a comfortable and calming sleep experience. The ZonLi blanket is also machine washable for easy cleaning.
These are our favourites when looking for best weighted blankets 2023. Good luck in your search for the best weighted blanket for your needs!
Read more: Best air purifiers 2023
Weigthed Blankets FAQs
A weighted blanket is a particular type of blanket that has extra weight added to it. The extra weight typically comes from plastic beads or pellets evenly distributed in pockets throughout the blanket.
Weighted blankets work by providing deep touch pressure stimulation, which can help relax and reduce anxiety in the user. This form of pressure therapy has been used for decades to help people with conditions such as autism, ADHD and anxiety.
The potential benefits of using a weighted blanket include improved sleep, decreased stress and anxiety levels, reduced restlessness and better mood regulation.
When choosing the right weighted blanket for you, it is important to consider the weight of the blanket relative to your body weight. Generally speaking, a weighted blanket should be 10% of your body weight plus 1 or 2 pounds.
To care for your weighted blanket, it is essential to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and avoid washing in hot water or drying in a dryer. Washing by hand or machine in cold water and air drying is usually the best way to care for your blanket.
Depending on the fabric used, a weighted blanket can last anywhere from several months to several years with proper care.
Children can use weighted blankets under the supervision of an adult. It is vital to use the blanket with a weight appropriate for their size, typically 5-10% of their body weight.
Some safety concerns regarding using weighted blankets include overheating and suffocation risks. It is always important to use caution and follow safety guidelines when using any blanket or sleep aid.
Some common misconceptions about weighted blankets include that the weight will make them feel suffocated, that the weight is too heavy for adults to use and that they are only helpful for those with autism or other sensory issues.
Weighted blankets are available from various sources, including online retailers, medical supply stores and speciality stores. It is essential to research and choose a blanket designed for your needs that meets safety guidelines.