From iconic aviators to cool cat eyes, sunglasses have been a timeless accessory for over a century and have added much-needed charm to any look. They are known for combining functionality with fashion, protecting our eyes from damaging UV rays while providing a stylish accessory to complete our outfits.
But which sunglasses offer the very best in terms of quality and style? Here we’ll take an in-depth look at some of the most well-known classics that offer truly stylish and reliable designs for both men and women.
What To Consider When Buying Sunglasses
When buying sunglasses, it’s essential to consider your needs and preferences. Good sunglasses should provide adequate UV protection, fit comfortably, and be stylish and functional. Here are five things to think about when you are buying sunglasses:
- UV Protection: The primary purpose of sunglasses is to protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful UV rays. When buying sunglasses, ensure they offer 100% protection against UVA and UVB rays. This will ensure that your eyes are protected from the harmful effects of the sun, such as cataracts, macular degeneration, and skin cancer around the eyes.
- Lens Material: The material of the lenses is also an essential factor to consider. Some popular lens materials are glass, polycarbonate, and acrylic. Glass lenses are scratch-resistant and provide excellent clarity but are heavy and can break easily. Polycarbonate and acrylic lenses are lightweight and shatterproof, making them an excellent choice for active individuals.
- Frame Style: The frame style is another crucial factor when buying sunglasses. The frame should fit comfortably on your face without slipping or pinching. Also, the frame style should complement your face shape and personal style. There are many frame styles, such as Aviator, Wayfarer, cat-eye, and round.
- Lens Color: The colour of the lenses can affect how you see the world around you. Different lens colours can enhance or diminish contrast, improve depth perception, or reduce glare. Grey or green lenses are good choices that preserve natural colours, while yellow or amber lenses can enhance contrast in low-light conditions. Brown lenses are popular for outdoor activities, as they reduce glare and enhance depth perception.
- Polarization: Polarized lenses are designed to reduce glare from reflective surfaces such as water, snow, or pavement. They can be very beneficial for fishing, boating, or driving. However, they may not be suitable for all situations, as they can affect the visibility of some digital screens, such as GPS devices or smartphones.
5 Most Classic Brands For Sunglasses
There are many classic sunglasses brands on the market, but here are five of the most well-known. Overall, each classic brand has its unique style and history, but they all share a commitment to high-quality materials, timeless design, and superior performance. Whether you’re looking for a sleek and sophisticated look or a retro, vintage vibe, there’s sure to be a classic pair of sunglasses from one of these brands that suit your style.
Ray-Ban is one of the world’s most iconic sunglasses brands, known for its classic styles and high-quality materials. One of their most famous styles is the Aviator, originally designed for pilots in the 1930s. The Wayfarer is another classic style that has been popular since the 1950s, known for its distinctive square shape and thick frames.
Oakley is known for its high-performance sports sunglasses and classic styles that have become popular with athletes and casual wearers. The Frogskins model is a popular classic style known for its retro design and lightweight, comfortable fit.
Persol is an Italian brand that has been making high-quality sunglasses since the 1930s. Their classic models are known for their sleek, sophisticated style and are often worn by celebrities and fashion icons. The 649 model is a popular classic style known for its distinctive shape and iconic temple arrow detailing.
Maui Jim is a brand known for its high-quality polarized sunglasses, popular among outdoor enthusiasts and fashion-conscious consumers. Their classic styles include the Ho’okipa model, which features a rimless design and lightweight, durable construction.
Serengeti is a brand that has been making high-quality sunglasses since the 1980s and is known for its advanced lens technology and classic designs. Their traditional styles include the Aviator model, which features polarized lenses and a sleek, streamlined design.
Best Sunglasses For Sports
Sunglasses for sports often have their special requirements. Here we bring you the best sunglasses for some of the most popular sports:
The best sunglasses for running should be lightweight, comfortable, and provide a secure fit to prevent them from bouncing or slipping while in motion. Look for sunglasses with polarized lenses to reduce glare and enhance contrast, especially when running on sunny days. Oakley Radar EV Path and Nike Vaporwing Elite are great options for running sunglasses.
When playing golf, you need sunglasses that offer excellent clarity and depth perception, allowing you to accurately see the ball’s trajectory and the course’s contours. Sunglasses with rose or copper lenses are best for golf because they enhance contrast and help you read the greens more effectively. Top golf sunglasses include Oakley Flak 2.0 XL and Tifosi Podium XC.
Fishing sunglasses should provide maximum protection from UV rays and glare from the water. Polarized lenses are a must-have for fishing sunglasses, as they help you see into the water and spot fish more easily. Costa Del Mar Fantail and Smith Optics Guides Choice are two of the best fishing sunglasses on the market.
Hiking sunglasses should offer excellent coverage and protection from the sun’s harmful rays, scratches, and impacts from rocks and other debris on the trail. Look for sunglasses with wraparound frames that provide maximum coverage and polarized lenses that reduce glare and eye strain. Julbo Explorer 2.0 and Maui Jim Peahi are top hiking sunglasses.
Cyclists need sunglasses that offer excellent clarity and depth perception while protecting their eyes from wind, debris, and UV rays. Look for sunglasses with interchangeable lenses, as they allow you to switch between clear and tinted lenses depending on the weather conditions. Some of the best cycling sunglasses include Oakley Jawbreaker and Smith Optics Pivlock Arena Max.
What Sunglasses Fit My Face?
Selecting the right sunglasses to complement your face shape can be tricky. Here are some general guidelines for selecting sunglasses that suit different face shapes:
- Round Face: For round faces, select sunglasses with a rectangular or square frame to add angles to the face. Look for sunglasses with wider frames that extend past the temples to make a face appear longer.
- Square Face: For square faces, select sunglasses with rounded or oval frames to soften the angles of the face. Look for sunglasses with thin frames to balance the features of the face.
- Oval Face: An oval face can wear any shape of sunglasses. Experiment with different shapes and sizes to find a pair that fits your style.
- Heart Face: Select sunglasses with a wider frame at the top and a taper at the bottom for heart-shaped faces. This will balance the width of the forehead and draw attention away from the chin.
- Diamond Face: For diamond-shaped faces, select sunglasses with a strong brow line and a round or oval frame to balance the narrow jawline.
Remember, these are general guidelines; most important is that you feel comfortable and confident in your sunglasses. So, don’t be afraid to try on different shapes and styles to find the one that suits you the best.
As we know them today, Sunglasses were first invented in 1929 by American entrepreneur Sam Foster. However, early versions of sunglasses made from flat panels of smoky quartz have been traced back to the 12th century in China, when judges used them to conceal their facial expressions while interrogating witnesses.
Sunglasses work by blocking or filtering out the sun’s UV rays, which have been linked to eye diseases such as macular degeneration and cataracts. The lenses are designed to absorb and reduce the amount of visible light that enters the eye and protect the eyes from potential damage caused by too much exposure to UV radiation.
Wearing sunglasses offers several benefits, including improved vision and better protection from UV radiation. They can help reduce eye strain caused by bright lights and protect the eyes from dust and other particles in the air. Sunglasses can also reduce glare, which can make outdoor activities more enjoyable.
Choosing the right pair of sunglasses is important because it depends on several factors, such as the shape of your face, skin tone, and personal style. Certain styles may look better on certain facial shapes, and different lenses can provide different levels of protection. Consider trying on various sunglasses to find the best fit for you.
Some popular sunglasses brands include Ray-Ban, Oakley, Persol and Maui Jim.
To keep your sunglasses in good condition, avoid leaving them in direct sunlight or extreme temperatures for extended periods. Also, clean the lenses with a soft cloth and store them in the protective case when not in use.
Some of the most popular styles of sunglasses include Aviator, Wayfarer, round, cat eye, and square.